Monday 16 February 2009

Ok, So one little Ladybird doesn't mean it's Spring.

But ! I was so glad to see this little spotted creature on one of my pots today, it's the first I've seen this year. By the time I went to get the camera she was just disappearing over the edge.It was so mild today that I was gardening in a tee shirt, so lovely to be out doing something in the garden.

Yesterday I spent 2 hours on the allotment and dug over one of the leek beds ready to plant something else in it this year. The leeks were small but were very tasty in a soup for lunch today. I took all the dead and large leaves off the Purple sprouting broccoli, and weeded that bed and raised the netting so the pigeons couldn't eat it before I tasted it. It's taken a year but I love P.S.Broccoli, so I am sure it will be worth the wait.

I noticed in Tesco's that the baby brussel sprouts were on sale at £1.09p ( roughly the same amount as in my pic) and I have had many more bags this size and bigger, so that made me feel good, and the leeks are expensive to buy especially the baby size that I picked yesterday, so it really does save money to GYO.

This last photo is of a few pots on my kitchen windowsill, they look very pretty, so I thought I would share it.

3 comments:

Anna said...

It's always such a thrill to see the first ladybird, bee and butterfly of the year. Not quite tee shirt weather here or maybe I am a wimp, but it was definitely warmer and the temperature is set to rise higher tomorrow :)

Tessa said...

Beautiful leeks! I love leek and potato soup, one of my favorites. I've never grown them- maybe I should try this year.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Maureen, you are a lucky girl! To be able to harvest something from the garden in February, that what I call pure joy.

I haven't grown leeks before, perhaps I will have a go this year.

Take care / Tyra