Saturday 15 November 2008

Good grief another lovely day ! am I dreaming ?

It was so nice today that we managed to get the shed creosoted. It looks good and will now be waterproofed for the winter. I also got some pots filled with some wallflowers that my allotment neighbour gave me ( she is also called Maureen, there are 3 of us at the same end of the allotment ! ) she had grown too many so shared them out. That's what I love about allotmenteering everyone is so kind and someone is always willing to lend a hand or share their extra plants, it obviously attracts the best of people. ( In most cases anyway. I can hear you muttering something Ali !!!! )

I am adding here a great Beetroot recipe that I have tried and loved. I thought someone out there may want to try it as well, it's always nice to try something different.

BAKED BEETROOT AND GARLIC (Tasty recipe with a difference )

1) Place the beetroot's into double thickness of foil, make sure there is enough foil to bring up to seal the beetroots.
( leave whole and don't peel them at this stage)

2) Crush 4 garlic cloves ( again don't peel just give them a bash to crush them, so they are still whole but the taste is released) add them to the beetroot.

3) Add about a tablespoon of virgin olive oil and tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the beetroot spoon it over the beetroot & garlic. seal the foil tightly so the beetroot almost steams in the oven. ( you can add more oil & vinegar if you wish )

4) Bake at around 190 for about an hour ( depending on size and number of beetroots) test with a sharp knife to see if the beetroot is cooked, if not leave for longer.

5) When cooked allow to cool and take the skin off the beetroots with a sharp knife and cut into either slices or chunks. This is the messy bit as they bleed

delicious as a baked veg with the dinner or left to go cold and have it with salad or in a cheese sandwich.

I kept mine in a kilner jar in the fridge for a week I left the juices and garlic in the jar as well.


I hope you try it.

No comments: