Wednesday 13 January 2010

An Orchid to brighten the day

I thought I would post some photo's of my Orchid that is flowering again. It's so beautiful I just had to share these with you. I think that orchids are amazing value. I know that the price is high to start with, but they flower for such a long time and certainly last a lot longer than cut flowers, and if you are lucky ( I seem to be so) they flower over and over again for years.








What a work of art, nature never ceases to amaze me with it's colours and patterns.




It snowed again last night and just as the snow had been slowly melting it's now thicker than ever, and this is what the garden looked like this morning. When will it end ? I was a tad bored staying in so we managed to clear the snow from the car, and drove very slowly to the Garden Centre. I looked at the seed potatoes, but didn't buy any yet as the bags were to big for me, so I will share some with my daughter.
Last year being sentimental I grew some 'Nicola' potatoes as that's my daughters name, and I am glad I did as they were so tasty and stored well, so I will definitely grow those again this year. I did buy some 'mangetout' seeds and also some 'Sutton's' 'Bedford' brussel sprout seeds.
I got fed up with runner beans last year so I am only going to grow French climbing beans and 'mangetout' . I still have pea seeds over from last year so may grow a few, but I have to say I HATE podding them.





I have also been teaching myself to crochet, it's all the rage don't you know ? The woman in the newsagents couldn't believe the demand for the new weekly magazine that's now in the shops, 'The Art of Crochet' it's actually good value, well the first issue is anyway. You get 2 balls of yarn, a crochet hook (although I already had 3 from edging knitting in the past) a beginners guide to basic stitches, some patterns Oh and a DVD. I haven't watched that yet, so can't comment on it. Anyway all that for 99p, Bargain !!! I haven't found out how much future issues will be.


Below is some photo's of my first attempts, and I am quite pleased with them.





The weather forecast mentioned rain, so hopefully they are right and then we can get rid of the snow, it's getting a bit boring now and I am worried about my wallflowers that I planted on the allotment. I really must get up there to have a look at whats survived.

17 comments:

Mrs Jones said...

I'm lucky with orchids too and you're right, they're amazingly good value after the initial expense. They appreciate 'benign neglect' and flower for months and months. I've got one that's been going for four years now and is about to flower again. I'm also doin' the crochet thang - I've subscribed to that magazine but haven't received my first copy yet, glad to hear that it's good!

Kella said...

I have killed too many orchids since moving to the UK to know to leave them well alone while I live here.

Your garden looked like mine did yesterdat but the rains came during the night and are still lightly falling now so the snaow has started to melt.

I learned to crochet as a teeneager but never learnt the names of all the stiches I am currently using a book I got at the charity shop to teach me the stitch names so I can follow a pattern. Your practice pieces do look good, so whats going to be the first project?

Darla said...

Dropped by from Becca's. I have never tried Orchids, they are pretty. I dearly love your snow photos and how clever to learn to crochet.

Pam said...

Oooh! the pink of those orchids is perfect - a real colour blast in these black and white days.
Though it has to be said I'm dreaming of burgundy just now. Can't think why!
P xx

Jo said...

I've got two orchids and they're both flowering again now. I love them. I'm doing the same as you and only growing French beans this year, I much prefer them to runner beans. I love to shell peas, I find it quite relaxing. Well done with your crocheting, I wouldn't know where to start.

GYPSYWOMAN said...

oh, i've so missed coming by your place in so long - so please forgive - and to be greeted with this magnificent orchid!!! what a treasure! absolutely beautiful - and you're right about them - what wonderfully beautiful gems they are - yours are divine! thanks so much for sharing! and please drop by any one or more of my places whenever you're so inclined!

Maureen said...

Thank you all so much for your comments.
MRS JONES, the magazine is very good, and the instructions clear enough for me to learn how to do my first pieces. I think it would be far to expensive long term to buy every issue (for me anyway !)I bought the 2nd issue today and you get a binder with it. Next week is the granny square, so I will be buying that one. You are right about Orchids not minding a bit of neglect. I think some people are too afraid to grow them thinking they are fussy, but like you I neglect mine and they pay me with beautiful blooms.

KELLA, have another go at the Orchids. I found the secret is getting the location right, they are fussy about where they are positioned, otherwise so easy to look after. I'm not sure what my first project will be, I am just having fun learning to do the sample squares.

DARLA, I'm so glad you dropped by, I will be over to check out your blog. I love blog-hopping its a good way of finding other people.

JO, Orchids are great aren't they such good value for the pleasure they give. I wouldn't have known where to start on the crocheting without the magazine, although I'm sure there is some good free tutorials online.

Maureen said...

Pam, I just realised that I missed your comment! I hope the burgundy sweet-peas grow well, I can't wait to get sowing. The snow is slowly melting, so not long now.

Maureen said...

JEANANE, thanks for the lovely comment. I have left you a message on the YAYA Tree.

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous orchid photos and orchid! My favorite color too. :-)
Your backyard looks so pretty in the snow but I know what you mean about wanting it to melt. I'd like mine to do that about now too!

Maureen said...

Hi Kathleen, thanks for the visit and for taking the time to comment. I have just done a quick visit to your blog, and realised that I do so quite often. I love your beautiful cards and photography, and I am ashamed to say I'm not sure if I have left a comment in the past to say just how much I admire them, so I promise I will in future because I know how nice it is to know someone has taken the time to do so.

Prospero said...

I can't decide if the orchid is more beautiful than the snow-scenes or vice versa.

I'm not surprised that you are going to be a wizard at crochet since you are so good with other crafts.

Maureen said...

PROSPERO, thank you for the kind comment, not sure if I will be a wizard at crocheting though ! learning the stitches is one thing but actually making something is another.
Have a good week-end.

USMC Sis said...

Never tried orchids before, but then again, I've never really had a penchant for them.

Good job on the crochet! I'm a southpaw, so I learned to crochet left-handed, then learned to knit a few years later. Knitting and crocheting are such good activities for rainy days!

Pam's English Garden said...

Just popped in to see how you are and glad I did because this is a lovely post! You inspire me to try orchids ... I never did. Do they need a really sunny window, because that I don't have? I am not going to try the crochet, though, not just because there are no such bargains here, but because I do NOT have the talent. Hope your snow has gone! Pamela x

Maureen said...

Hi There USMC Sis, thanks for stopping by. Yes they are both perfect crafts to while away the dark days and the snow, which has gone now.
................................
Hi PAM (English garden) Nice to see your comment, thank you. Re: the Orchids, they don't need a sunny spot in fact mine have only flourished so well because they are on a windowsill that although it's very light, doesn't really get much sun and they love it. They don't mind a bit of neglect either. I hope you try them and have success as they are such beautiful plants.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

You are right, it's a work of art, Maureen! I am jealous of your snow. I know it is a pain for Europe this year, but we didn't have a single snowflake, and it is sad. Stay warm!