Wednesday 21 April 2010

A tour of plot 19. Now you know why I haven't had time to blog !!

I spent 5 hours today working on the plot. I am now so tired but thought I would post these photo's of how it all looks now. Still Lot's more to do though.

Freshly dug, manured and raked Onion bed, and yes the onions are in ! but they were grown from seed and have just been transplanted from the seed trays. The stones separate the red and white onions. I must count them as it seemed like 100's. They should take off and grow quite quickly now they have all that space.



Close up of the tiny onions


Cabbages are growing so fast.



Broad Beans.

It all looks better for being dug over.


Another view, looking down the plot.



The Herb bed. Things are growing, but more needs adding this year.


I'm so disappointed with the wallflowers. I bought mixed colours, but they are all yellow shades.
last years colours were fabulous, oh well they are cheery.



Rosie is waving, poor old girl needs new clothes and new straw hair, I must do that soon.

Another view, looking up towards the shed.




The fruit area. Gooseberries (Red & Green) Strawberries, Raspberries and about six Rhubarb plants (don't ask why six !) two Blueberry bushes are growing in the garden at home.



In the foreground bed, Garlic and leeks, ( leeks growing and some just sown )
Next raised bed has two types of parsnips and lots of carrots, all recently sown, nothing is up yet.


My lovely blue chair. A welcome seat for tired legs. It was a dumped chair found on a pile of thrown away items near the allotments, a coat of paint transformed it.
My Irish Blessing in the shed.

And finally one variety of tomatoes that I'm growing 'Abraham Lincoln' from 'Victoriana Nursery' are doing very well after a slow start to germinate.


So you see I have been very busy, and that's why I haven't posted, well ! that's one of the reasons as I did also go away for a few days to visit the grandchildren .

I always long for the Spring and the Summer but it brings with it so many things to do and places and people to visit. So much so that by the end of the Summer I am always ready for the rest as the gardening and allotment needs slow down. I can then get back to my crafts and plan for the next year !! Sometimes I think of that famous poem ( see below) where it says we should take the time to stop and stare, maybe tomorrow I will do just that.



Leisure, by William Henry Davies (1871-1940)
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

13 comments:

Jo said...

You have been busy, Maureen. Everything is looking so well tended and you have lots of things growing already. The poem is very true, I think we realise this as we get older.

Carrie said...

Well a hearty Bravo! to you x

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Wow you have been busy! Can you come to my allotment now yours looks so fab :-)

Unknown said...

Wow you are like Super Woman all of a sudden - where did your burst of energy come from?? Maybe it was the Sun giving you Solar power??

Well done - you have really got alot done and I like the poem too.
xx

Pam's English Garden said...

Wow! Maureen, you have been very busy! But the results of your hard work are showing already. Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite poems -- I must heed its sentiments!

Kella said...

Hi finally I'm just catching up on everyone's blogs that I follow.

5 hours!!!

The plot is looking good for it though and everything is looking like its on schedual, can you believe I am yet to sow my tomatoes, which is leaving me feeling very nervous indeed.

GYPSYWOMAN said...

what an incredible way to spend one's day/life! wonderful to be back for a visit to your place and all its lush green life and lifetobe - thanks so much for sharing with all of us - have a glorious weekend!

Anna said...

Wondered where you had got to Maureen and was about to launch a search party. There does not seem enough hours in the day at the moment: ) You have got off to a flying start at the lottie and must be feeling pleased.

Maureen said...

Thank you, JO, CARRIE,SCENTED SWEETPEAS, ALI, PAM, KELLA, GYPSYWOMAN and ANNA, for dropping by and taking the time to comment. I will be around to visit all of your blogs very soon. It's so nice to have lovely weather, but it's a very busy time isn't it ? I apologise for not blogging regularly and visiting you all.
Have a great week-end everyone xx

Damo said...

Great progress you've been making the most of the nice weather.

Pam's English Garden said...

Maureen, When you get a chance (ha,ha,- busy time), don't forget to change my address in your blogroll. pamsenglishcottagegarden.blogspot.com.
Thanks. Pam x

cottage garden farmer said...

Gosh you've really been busy - those cabbages are looking good, and your broad beans are twice the size of mine. Well done!

Unknown said...

Great work there! Needs lots of energy and passion to see them growing well. Thanks for the lovely poem which is all coming back to me:)