Tuesday 24 September 2013

A new start with my blog

After neglecting my blog for such a long time due to other commitments I've decided to put aside some time each week to catch up on my own and other blogs that I used to visit.

I always enjoyed and was encouraged by other peoples blogs, and it kept me interested in growing and blogging.

So here we are a new start and hopefully a continued one !
All the troubles on the plot seem to have settled down and I avoid our Hitler warden as much as I can. In fact I haven't been as keen this year on being there. I've just done the essentials.  I have been very busy buying second hand furniture and Upcycling and shabbying  and generally producing some amazing pieces from old thrown out or sold junk ! Great fun, and a good source of extra income from what started as a hobby.

So from next year I have to plan my new plot better and get a grip on the bind weed that has smothered my gooseberries, black currents and raspberries.  I worked the fruit bed for over a week when I first moved over to plot 30, and had buckets of bindweed, but it's all back and driving me crazy ! Funny enough I didn't have hardly any on plot 19 ! Just the odd bit here and there.
How do you allotment and  vegetable gardeners deal with this terrible scourge  ? ?? I'd love some tips to get rid of it,

I have had some good harvests even though its been a funny sort of year. Below are some photo's I've taken .

I hope you are all sowing, growing, harvesting and enjoying your plots .
Here are a couple of photos of the many squashes I've grown. Probably the best year for a while for these.



I've had lots of tomatoes this year, all grown in the garden as I sold my greenhouse on the allotment as I find its a tie.  In the summer months I was having to go up and water twice a day. It was the best decision I made as I've had just as many from the garden  and also my chillies were fine in a little mini plastic greenhouse in the garden.








I've just applied the new upgrade to my iPad and there are some changes I don't like, one being on this blog I can't see the whole page and its making it very difficult. And I can't seem to get a preview, which is annoying.

I have been very lucky to have been sent a brilliant new cookbook to review on this blog, but because I've been so busy I haven't had time to do it, so I'll leave it for another day as is like to try some of the vegetable recipes .
Take care
M xx

1 comment:

Prospero said...

Hello Maureen. It's been a while...

I always love to see your harvest. You have a knack for making everything look so delectable.

Bindweed. That's in the morning glory family. We don't worry about that here. We worry about Ipomoea purpurea vulgaris, whose stems get to be 1/2 an inch thick and can easily strangle a full grown tree. I have purslane to worry about in the garden. You may even have this in the UK. It produces billions of seed and if that wasn't enough, it propagates from any bit of leaf or stem that has the misfortune of touching the ground. Add to that the unpleasant fact that we don't have frost to kill it, it's always a menace.

I hope you'll be back soon. I can tell you about my rutabagas, and onions, and cabbage, golden berries, Inca peanuts, guava, papaya…