Saturday 30 July 2011

Allotment and Garden Update

After a very busy couple of months, two fabulous family weddings, (one being in Italy), I am finally back to my normal routine. Well almost !!  The allotment was so overgrown when we got back from Italy and finally managed to get up there.  I set about pulling up the onions and drying them off to store.  The mangetout were almost over and the next later sown three rows ready to be staked and netted.  I am still picking runner and french beans. There has been so many that my neighbours have benefited too.  The flower beds on the allotment are amazing, especially the 'Asters' the colours are beautiful.  Just look at this bouquet I cut last week and I have more dotted around the house too.

Aster 'Duchess Mixed'  from 'Wilko's'

The Globe Artichokes are a good size, but I really only love the hearts and they were a little disappointing when I cooked some of them  as the hearts weren't worth all the effort that the cooking took, maybe next year when the plants are a year old !!



The garlic has been brilliant this year as have the onions, so they should all last me until next year.




Courgettes, not too bad but nowhere near as prolific as in recent years, and tomatoes not as good as I usually get either. In fact last year I couldn't keep up with either and had to make pasta sauce and freeze in batches, Oh well !!


As for my garden this year it has been fantastic. I grew more flowers from seed than I have ever done in the past and the Asters and Zinnia's have been so beautiful. I will grow them every year from now on. The 'Cerinthe' is a lovely and prolific as ever, the spikey marigolds unusual and lovely as long lasting cut flowers. The Dahlias never cease to amaze me for their longevity and the most precious one for me is my very first which is 'Pink Giraffe'  have a look at this selection of photo's to see what I mean.

The Garden in Bloom
                                                                      
Calendula 'Porcupine' 
Sutton seeds


Zinnia - Sutton seeds

Zinnia (pastel shades)  'Faberge Mix' Sutton seeds


'Cerinthe'   seeds collected from previous years plants


'Cosmos' Millennium, Unwins seeds, these are bright beautiful shades of yellows through to oranges and the foliage is less feathery than the pink and white shades, it's more ferny, well worth growing they are lovely. ( sorry photo a bit blurry)



  Dahlia  'Pink Giraffe'



 I have been visiting and catching up with the blogs I usually read but apologise that I haven't had time to leave comments.  Sometimes I long for the autumn and winter months so that I can get back to some reading and my crafts.  I love the allotment and garden, but between visiting my family and spending days at my son's enjoying the grandchildren life gets hectic and I never seem to have time to fit everything in.

Have a lovely week-end and let's hope the sun shines !!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for your lovely photos. i've got asters as well, after seeing them on 'my tiny plot' blog. great to have a bunch in the kitchen. i'm dealing with onslaught of beans - i may not have to buy beans this winter - yeah!

Maureen said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for the comment, and for mentioning 'My tiny plot's' asters. I just had a look and the variety there is 'Big Boy' I think I will have a go at those next year as well.

Anonymous said...

Those zinnias are gorgeous! But my favourite is the pink giraffe - next year I will definitely have a big bunch in a jug on my kitchen windowsill.
P x

Maureen said...

Hi Pam, The Zinnias are a big favourite of mine now and also the Asters. I will be growing them every year from now on. The Pink Giraffe is still my No 1 though and if you lost your tubers last winter let me know and I will save you some when I dig mine up.